Did you know that about 25% of golfers are women and in some countries, it’s as high as 40%? And 40% of new golfers are female. The golfing bug has bitten the women, and I love it!
So you’ve been playing golf for a few years now, and it’s getting into your blood a bit. You realize that upgrading your beginner’s clubs is in your scores’ best interest.
The good news is that manufacturers are finally pulling through on designing clubs tailored for women. It’s no secret that more and more women are teeing it up, and it’s a big market, so it only makes sense to design golf clubs for this demographic.
With that being said, it’s my aim to share with you which manufacturers have done an outstanding job of designing and building clubs for intermediate female golfers.
We’ll also discuss what features to look for when making your purchase decision. Below is the list of clubs I’ve reviewed. When possible I include a couple different vendors, so you can find the best deals!
Best Golf Clubs for Intermediate Golfers
1) Callaway Women’s Solaire Complete Golf Set – I’m going to start this list off with a very recognizable brand name. Callaway is no slouch when it comes to making clubs. The Solaire golf clubs are available in both petite and regular sizes. They have graphite shafts that are super light-weight and easy to control. The set comes with a bag, headcovers and is available in a few different colors as well as right-handed or left-handed. You can’t go wrong with these.
Features and Benefits of Callaway Solaire
- Graphite Shafts – makes it easier to swing with more control and distance.
- Includes – A Driver, 3 Wood, Two Hybrids (5,6), Three Irons (7,8,9), Pitching Wedge, Sand Wedge, Putter, Cart Bag, and Headcovers.
- An Odyssey putter – you probably know that Odyssey is one of the best putters on the market. This is a great addition to your bag!
- Couple different sizes – without having to spend the extra money on getting custom-fitted clubs, the variety of sizes is awesome.
- Most affordable on this list.
2) TaylorMade Golf Kalea Complete Golf Set – Another top name brand delivering a solid complete women’s golf club set. TaylorMade is used by many top female golfers and for good reason. Its Ultra-lightweight construction is engineered to maximize speed and create easy launch. The Speed Pocket design allows for more flexibility low on the face for higher launch and more forgiveness. Each club is individually optimized for length, loft, and design for proper gapping through the whole set. Current users are seeing immediate results, and love how light they are.
Features and Benefits of TaylorMade Kalea
- Ultra-lightweight clubs– makes squaring up that driver for straighter drives that much easier.
- Includes – A Driver, Two Woods (3,5), Two Hybrids (5,6), Three Irons (7,8,9), Pitching Wedge, Sand Wedge, Putter, Golf Bag, Headcovers.
- Premium Putter – TaylorMade included the Spider Putter. This mallet putter has compact weight in the back, making it great for longer putts.
- Weighs less than 20 lbs. – as is this complete set weighs less than 20 pounds. If you’re walking a hilly course, the lightweight will feel great and the saved energy will transfer to your game.
3) Callaway Strata Golf Club Set – it shouldn’t come as a surprise that Callaway makes the list twice for best golf clubs for intermediate women. The Strata Tour set is great for women of any age or skill level, who are looking to golf at a higher level. Each of the clubs in this set is made with flexible and “forgiving” graphite composite shafts for a more controlled game. Unlike some of the other bags on this list, Callaway provides a stand and shoulder straps for these clubs, making it great for those who enjoy walking 9 or 18.
Features and Benefits of Callaway Strata
- Affordability – don’t let the price fool you. While these clubs are significantly more affordable, the quality is still there.
- Biggest Driver – the set comes with the biggest allowable driver, creating a bigger sweet spot, just in case of a mishit.
- Complete Set – comes with a driver, a 3-wood, two hybrids (4,5), 6-9 irons, pitching and sand wedge, and putter.
- Options – The Strata line has several different club set options to choose from, providing a lot of flexibility.
4) Cobra Golf 2019 Women’s XL Speed Golf Set – so Cobra has their 2018 XL and they just came out with their 2020 set. Of all of them, I still like the 2019 XL Speed set. 2018 was a smaller set, and the upgrades they did on the 2020 set just seemed too minimal for the price. Their 2019 seems to be the “medium bowl of porridge” and is just right. The women’s Cobra XL Speed complete set features lightweight and forgiving driver, fairway woods, hybrids, and iron designs that are each engineered to deliver maximum distance and forgiveness. This set includes a driver, 3/5/7 wood, 5 hybrid, 6-9 irons, Pitching Wedge, Sand Wedge, Mallet Putter, and a Cart Bag.
Features and Benefits of Cobra XL Speed
- Lightweight and forgiving – provides for a more controlled swing and straighter drives.
- Premium Bag – 14-way top, 7 zippered compartments, and 1 velour-lined valuables pocket. Simple and safe!
- Brand name – Cobra provides top quality and durable clubs. No need to buy new clubs anytime soon.
- Cavity back irons – the perimeter weighting on the irons allows for max forgiveness.
Features to Consider on Women’s Golf Clubs
The difference between men and women’s golf clubs is mainly the weight of the club. Women’s golf clubs tend to be a little bit lighter and can come in a shorter version (typically about 1 inch for the same men’s club) as well as a little more flex in the shaft.
This isn’t to say that women can’t play with men’s clubs, a matter of fact it’s not that uncommon. Taller women in the LPGA use men’s clubs quite frequently. Also keep in mind the amount of flex in the shaft should match the swing speed, not the gender. If your swing speed (How to Swing A Golf Club Faster) is 90mph+ the “ladies” flex might not be in your best interest, but instead, a stiffer shaft might be appropriate.
Finally, women’s clubs might have a higher loft than the same men’s club. This will depend on the manufacturer.
Conclusion of Best Intermediate Golf Clubs for Women
As you can see there is a wide range of affordability with women’s golf clubs. Some of the sets are a little more complete compared to the others, so take into consideration what clubs you want.
Maybe you don’t care if the bag has a stand or shoulder straps. In this case, a more affordable bag might be the deciding factor. Or maybe a couple of hybrids in your bag would be the biggest difference. Overall, manufacturers are dialing in their clubs to fit all demographics. Select the best one for you and enjoy!
Also, if you’re looking to break 90 for the first time or do it on a more consistent basis, check out my post on golf tips to break 90.
FAQ of Womens Golf Clubs
Should I buy a set or individual clubs?
If you have no clubs or have outgrown your beginner clubs a new set will be more affordable. Buying individual clubs can add up quickly.
Can women use men’s golf clubs?
Yes. Taller women who have an above-average swing speed can use men’s clubs.
What is the average golf club swing speed for women?
The average female golfer’s swing speed is 65 mph.
What height are women’s golf clubs designed for?
Women who are 5’5″ should be looking at petite clubs. Women over 5’6″ to about 5’9″ are perfect for regular women’s clubs.