Grabbing a pair of decent golf shoes can not only make you look the part, but it will help you play the part. Golf shoes can help you keep your footing stable and planted. If you’ve been involved in sports at all, you’ll know that a lot of your power comes from the bottom half of your body.
If there’s any slippage or loss of connection to the ground, it could mean the difference between smashing your drive down the middle or shanking it off.
The days of metal spikes are gone, and they’ve been replaced with “spikeless” shoes. They’re better for the course, more comfortable, and just as good at keeping you in your stance.
With current technology, golf shoe manufacturers have developed some clever golf shoes that look and feel good. They’re versatile in that you can put them on in the parking lot, walk to the course, play a round, and walk back to your vehicle without clanking metal cleats.
Before you grab a pair of the latest golf shoes, let’s discuss what you should look at before digging in.
Features of Waterproof Golf Shoes
Yeah, you might get a bit wet if you’re playing golf. It happens without fail. You make your tee time for the upcoming weekend and slowly throughout the week, the chance of rain increases during your reserved tee time. And golfing with wet feet can really diminish from the fun. Especially if it’s a bit cold or there’s wind blowing. So getting yourself a pair of waterproof shoes will help to ensure that your golf outing continues to be fun… rain or shine.
Just like any shoe you buy, comfort is going to be something you want to pay attention to. Almost all shoes will need a bit of breaking in, but if they aren’t made of high-quality comfortable material, there’s a good chance you’ll toss them to the back of the closet to collect dust.
Size availability, leather material, cushioned and lightweight are features you might want to consider to ensure maximum comfort.
Unless you own the shoe company you’ll probably be influenced by the price of the shoes. And you should. You don’t want to pay too much for shoes you’ll wear rarely, and you don’t want to pay for shoes that are liable to fall apart anytime soon (though I wouldn’t recommend any of those kinds of shoes). Some people are very stylish are willing to pay for that style. No judgment around here.
Probably second to only comfort (at least for me), the practicality of the shoe needs to be realized. If the club spins in your hands when you swing, I’d be willing to bet, the ball doesn’t go where you want it. Similarly, if you slip while taking a swing, I’d be willing to make that same bet. Whether you’re walking down a hill, or uncorking during your swing, maintaining good traction is crucial.
The metal spikes of yesterday may have had the ultimate traction, but the golf shoes of today with their complete coverage of rubber spikes or numbs on the bottom does a respectable job.
Now that you know what you’re looking for, here are my recommendations for the best waterproof spikeless golf shoes.
Waterproof Spikeless Golf Shoes
New Balance (Editor’s Choice)
1) New Balance Minimus SL Golf Shoe – I know what you’re thinking. New Balance makes running shoes. Yes, they do and they bring that technology to the golf course now. Bringing minimal running technology to golf, the minimus sleeve golf shoe brings you closer to the course for a more natural feel and fit. The REVlite midsole offers cushioning and support, while the fantomfit upper provides ultralight support and fit.
Features and Benefits
- FantomFit Upper – A skeletally engineered upper that provides ultralight support and fit. Comfort and lightweight so you don’t get tired playing 18 or 36 holes.
- REVLite Midsole – REVlite offers a lightweight ride without minimizing construction or sacrificing underfoot cushioning or stability. No need to worry about getting a new pair any time soon.
- NDurance Rubber Outsole – Rubber compound for maximum durability used in high wear areas. You can wear these from the parking lot and back without wear and tear, saving you money.
- Ortholite Insole – Proprietary polyurethane performance insoles that provide long-lasting cushioning, wick away moisture, are odor and fungus inhibiting, and allow airflow for a cooler foot. Makes golfing that more comfortable.
Skechers (Budget Friendly)
2) Skechers Drive 4 Golf Shoe – if you’ve ever worn a pair of shoes made by Skechers, rest assured comfort will be a high-priority. The Skechers drive 4 fuses comfort and style into one. This sneaker style golf shoe is the perfect choice for golfers who demand on-course performance blended with a fashionable, street-wear look. The spikeless design has enough traction to keep you from twisting while maintaining less stress on your feet. The ultra flight foam will make you want to wear them off the course as well. The drive 4s are also water-resistant, meaning you are covered during light dewy mornings.
Features and Benefits
- Ultra Flight – The Ultra Flight mid-sole is a lightweight yet dense and responsive cushioning that is responsible for maintaining comfort.
- GOGA MAX – GOGA MAX places resalyte technology into the foot bed of the shoe, which provides support and high-rebound cushioning.
- Agion – Agion insole protection inhibits odor, wicks away moisture, and provides long-lasting protection.
- Wide Fit – Available up to a 4E.
Adidas (Runner up)
3) Adidas Tour360 Xt Spikeless Golf Shoe – With a name like Adidas you know they’ll provide a quality golf shoe at an affordable price. A premium look for the course. Designed for comfort, these men’s golf shoes feature a leather and microfiber synthetic upper. A boost mid-sole gives you responsive cushioning throughout your round, while climastorm provides breathable protection in wet conditions.
Features and Benefits
- Ample Toe Box – With the room in the toe, you don’t need to worry about cramped toes hindering your game.
- Climastorm – the Climastorm allows for breath-ability in the shoe, so on hot days, you’re not changing sweaty socks every 9 holes.
- Sleek Style – if style is your game, there are 5 different options to choose from.
- X-Traxion – the full bottom traction on this shoe prevents slips and spins. Lets you focus on your aim and not worry about spinning out.
4) Under Armour UA HOVR Gore-Tex – If you’re looking to go top-shelf the Gore-Tex shoes made by Under Armour are of the highest quality. The breathable microfiber combined with the waterproof membrane to keep your feet dry hits the mark of quality and practicality.
Features and Benefits
- UA HOVR™ technology supports natural foot movement while swinging
- Compression mesh Energy Web molds HOVR foam for cushioned, responsive energy
- Constructed with lightweight, durable TPU outsole for underfoot comfort and stability
- UA Rotational Resistance TPU outsole for underfoot comfort and lockdown traction
- TGW Moisture Rating: waterproof, recommended for all conditions
- 2-Year Gore-Tex Waterproof Warranty
- Weight: 11.5 oz. (size 9)
Conclusion of Waterproof Spikeless Shoes
If your feet tend to get tired, investing in a decent pair of golf shoes can make a world of difference. Between having traction so you don’t shank a shot, exceptional comfort for when you’re walking, and the added feature of being waterproof, the aforementioned golf shoes will do right by you. Take care of your feet, and step into a new pair of stylish and practical spikeless golf shoes because they can make a difference.
FAQ on Spikeless Golf Shoes
Whats the difference between spiked and spikeless golf shoes?
Spiked golf shoes have actual cleats typically made of hard plastic. Spikeless is typically rubber sole or studs.
Do pros where spikeless shoes?
A large portion of the pros still wear spiked shoes, but the transition to spikeless golf shoes is increasing.
Are spiked golf shoes better than spikeless?
This will depend on the course and how often you use them. They both have their pros and cons. But if you tend to play in wet weather or on hills, the spiked shoes might provide more traction.
How long will spikeless golf shoes last?
Like regular shoes, the more you wear them, the shorter they will last. Typically, spikeless golf shoes will last 2-3 years with a moderate amount of use.