So you’re going golfing in the next few days, you know you’re going to need some sun protection, and now it’s finally time to get yourself an actual wide brim golfing hat.
As a fellow golfer, a wide brim golfing hat is one of those things I make sure to have before I leave my house. Maybe I”m just sensitive to the blazing sun, but shades and a wide brim golfing hat with plenty of coverage, are two things I can’t do without when I’m playing in the heat.
The good news is there are plenty of choices when it comes to golf hats. You can always use a traditional ball cap, but by the time you step in the shower and you feel the back of your neck scorching, you’ll wish you had a full brim hat. I’ve owned a few different wide brim hats, and have tried a variety of kinds.
I’ve also done some research to figure out what constitutes the best wide brim golf hats. Without further adieu, here they are.
Best Wide Brim Golf Hat
Nike Bucket Hat (Editor’s Choice)
1) Nike UV Sun Bucket Golf Hat – You may have heard of this brand before. The Nike Bucket Hat is a popular hat due to it’s Dri-fit technology and breath-ability. I personally love this hat for the breath-ability. A hat with just a couple holes, for me, just doesn’t do the trick. The brim is wide enough to provide full protection and the stretch fabric makes it comfortable, so it’s not too tight. Another thing I like about this hat is it’s not so floppy that it’s difficult to see your surroundings.
Coolibar (Runner up)
2) Coolibar Kaden Crushable Ventilated Hat – For me, this is an easy runner up golf hat. Again a wide brim that isn’t’ too floppy and well ventilated with the full coverage on the top, to prevent any direct sun on the top of your dome. With a UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) of 50+, this practical yet fashionable golf hat is versatile and lightweight. The wrinkle-resistant and packable feature makes it easy to travel with, and no need of crushing your hat.
3) Einskey Sun Hat – if you’re looking to get as much coverage as possible and keep the cost down, this very affordable sun hat will do the trick. This hat from Einskey does double-duty, protecting you from the sun with its wide brim and water repellent fabric allows you to wear in drizzling rain. Its sweat-wicking band and mesh vents will keep your head nice and cool throughout the day, as well. With a brim close to 4 inches, you’re sure to get some serious sun blockage.
Stetson Mesh Golf Hat
4) Stetson Men’s Mesh Covered Hat – Teddy Roosevelt, Henry Morgan Stanley, Lewis and Clark – all famed explorers, all travelers who set out on daring expeditions, braving heat, humidity, nature, and the unknown. They’re all pioneers who wish they had mesh safari hats for men like Stetson can provide. This mesh-covered nylon safari hat is made with a bound 2¾” brim, chin cord, and Coolmax sweatband so you can get the protection and ventilation you need. Enjoy the non-toxic, odorless, CDC- and WHO-approved insect repellent that comes on No Fly Zone hats like this. If you’ve got a bit of style and swagger to you, this could be your next golf hat.
5) Tilley Broad Brim Extra Ventilation Sun – This unique golf hat has the look of a bucket hat, but with the extra ventilation, you might get from a straw hat. This is essentially the hybrid golf club of hats. The Airflo Collection is designed for versatility and function in every outdoor adventure. Every hat is hand-crafted to be lightweight, breathable, packable, and protective from sun, rain, and wind. The crown of Airflo styles is made slightly higher so the top of the hat does not sit against the top of your head. The mesh in the crown allows your head to vent – letting warm air escape and cool breezes to flow back through the mesh. Airflo is made of lightweight fabric so it sits comfortably all day.
Golf Hat Features to Consider
There are a few things that are worth considering when choosing a wide brim golf hat. Here is a list of things you’ll want to consider:
The aforementioned hats have a variety of widths. Some are pretty close to 4 inches, so they’ll cover plenty. Others have a couple of inches of width. A round of golf can mean about 4 hours of sitting out in the sun, and sun protection is essential.
As you can probably tell, the amount of air flow and ventilation is my top factor when choosing a wide brim golf hat. Style and looks tend to fall to the side as long as there is plenty of air flow keeping me cool. I’m guessing this one is a big factor for a lot of golfers.
While I’m not well known for my style, I do try to dress appropriately. There are some wide brim hats that are so wide the brim can flop down. To me, that encumbers on my view, and I feel like I’m wearing a little bonnet. I prefer to be somewhere in the middle. Some of the hats come in all sorts of colors, so get to picking out a color that makes your birdies shine.
Golf Hat Material
Another factor to consider is the material the hat is made from. Does it come with a sweatband? Some people prefer the feel of cotton, while others like a straw hat. Figure out what kind of material suits your needs and go from there.
Conclusion of Wide Brim Golf Hats
In general, all of the hats above will do great for you. No matter you’re blocking out the sun, or blocking out the rain, they’ll do better than a regular ball cap or a visor. If you’re going to be out in the sun for hours, a wide brim golf hat is not only practical is advisable.
This is especially true if you’re consuming some adult beverages. A scorching sun combined with dehydration can lead to some bad situations. Golf hats can come in a variety of colors and materials, and they each have their own pros and cons. Do yourself a favor and pick one up today!